Powerful Student Voice from Rosemary in Year 8

“When my family and I relocated from Samoa to New Zealand, it was hard for me to learn a different language. I was worried students would make fun of me. I had my reading, writing and spelling test...I was at the below stage unlike everybody else. Thankfully The Code (Structured Literacy) started in Robertson Road School. I love Code! I enjoyed every minute of it. I never wanted to miss a day of Code. At the beginning of the week we learn a sound either a short-vowel, long vowel, split digraph or a trigraph. At the end of the week we look back at the sound(s) and revise on it. The Code took my English into a higher level. The Code helped with my weaknesses in literacy. With The Code I was able to read English vocabulary fluently, it helped me with writing words and knowing what sounds I need to use. In writing, I didn’t have to use a Chromebook to search for words suitable for my year-level. I enjoyed learning The Code because I was taught together with a group of students I was comfortable around. I (now) feel like an English pro speaker in our class, because all the students with higher levels than me are asking me for help. I recommend The Code to be continued at Robertson Road School for those who need help just like me.” 
30th November 2020


Comments